Thursday, May 7, 2009

5/8 Foodie Friday

Foodie Friday Logo 2 Gollum at Designs by Gollum is the hostess for “Foodie Friday” (clicking on the logo on the right will take you to her site).

Today is “Cake day” for Foodie Friday so I am going to share Ina Garten’s (aka Barefoot Contessa) Carrot Cake Cupcakes! For more on Ina Garten/Barefoot Contessa visit her website HERE…….

Carrot Cake Cupcakes (makes 22 cupcakes)

image

2 cups granulated sugar
1 1/3 cups vegetable oil
3 extra-large eggs at room temperature
1 teaspoon pure vanilla extract
2 cups all-purpose flour plus 1 tablespoon
2 teaspoons ground cinnamon
2 teaspoons baking soda
1 1/2 teaspoons kosher salt
1 pound carrots, grated
1 cup raisins
1 cup chopped walnuts

For the frosting:
3/4 pound cream cheese at room temperature
1/2 pound unsalted butter at room temperature
1 teaspoon pure vanilla extract
1 pound confectioners’ sugar, sieved

For the decoration:
2 tablespoons unsalted butter
1 cup grated or shaved carrots
3 tablespoons good maple syrup

  • Preheat the oven to 400 degrees. Line muffin pans with paper liners.
  • Beat the sugar, oil, and eggs together in the bowl of an electric mixer fitted with the paddle attachment until light yellow.
  • Add the vanilla. In another bowl, sift together 2 cups flour, the cinnamon, baking soda, and salt.
  • Add the dry ingredients to the wet ingredients.
  • Toss the carrots, raisins, and walnuts with 1 tablespoon flour.
  • Add to the batter and mix well.
  • Scoop the batter into the muffin cups until each is almost full.
  • Bake for 10 minutes, then lower the oven to 350 degrees and bake for 35 minutes, or until a toothpick comes out clean.
  • Let cool on a wire rack.

For the frosting, mix the cream cheese, butter, and vanilla in the bowl of an electric mixer fitted with the paddle attachment until just combined. Add the sugar and mix until smooth.

Thanks for visiting my blog. Visit Gollum at Designs by Gollum for more “Foodie Friday” participants.

Technorati Tags:

35 comments:

  1. I love carrot cake and these look so good! Happy Foodie Friday!

    ReplyDelete
  2. What a great idea for carrot cupcakes. I dearly love cream cheese icing. Have a lovely Mother's Day, Susan!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hi Susan! I've just made a carrot cake...lol
    This cupcakes looks scrumptious!
    Be a sweetie,
    Shelia ;)

    ReplyDelete
  4. Yum!! My family would love these!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Oh man, I wish I had one now. That looks so good.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Sounds delicious! I love carrot cake and this would be a great way to get just a taste without all the calories of a big slice....but of course I couldn't stop with just one!:-)

    ReplyDelete
  7. Carrot cake is just the best! Yours look wonderful - love the carrot topping!

    ReplyDelete
  8. I've made these and they are good and I really like the garnishment.

    ReplyDelete
  9. Yummm, I love carrot cake! Great idea! Hope you have a Happy Mother's Day Susan! ♥ Diane

    ReplyDelete
  10. One of my hubby's favorite cakes. Thanks for sharing. This looks so good.

    ReplyDelete
  11. These look wonderful. I love carrot cake. If I make these, it's going to have to be Sunday night so i can take them to work Monday and get them out of the house lol! Thanks for sharing these. Kathy

    ReplyDelete
  12. Thanks so mcuh for the recipe, Susan. I copied it cause hubby loves carrot cake....Christine

    ReplyDelete
  13. I love carrot cake with cream cheese icing. :-)
    Glenda

    ReplyDelete
  14. Yummm!....I am sure these would not last long at all here! :)...What is the best way to save any extras?

    ReplyDelete
  15. That looks so mouth-watering! Susan, I made cupcakes!

    ReplyDelete
  16. This looks delicious. I can't wait to try it. Thanks for the recipe!

    ReplyDelete
  17. Love Ina and love carrot cake! Yum!

    All the best,
    Allison

    ReplyDelete
  18. Can't wait to try this recipe, looks and sounds great.
    Have a great day

    ReplyDelete
  19. Oh Heavens to Betsy....those look scrumptious. Now I never would have thought of cupcakes for carrot cake! Love it!

    ReplyDelete
  20. Wow, HOMEMADE cupcakes! Yummy!!!!!!!!!!!!

    Justine :o )

    ReplyDelete
  21. I love carrot cake. I had a wonderful recipe but I lost it...this one looks just as good.

    ReplyDelete
  22. Susan!
    As Rachel Ray would say....YUMMO!
    Blessings...

    ReplyDelete
  23. YUM!!!

    I'm going to have to buy/bake some cupcakes this week-end!

    Lisa

    ReplyDelete
  24. Umm... Ina's cupcakes! Love her recipes, and I love her show -- it's like cooking with Valium, she's so calm and deliberate, almost like slow motion cooking. Thanks for sharing!
    I haven't made cupcakes since my kids were in grade school; that may have to change!
    Cass

    ReplyDelete
  25. Susan, these look divine! YUM!

    XO,

    Sheila :-)

    ReplyDelete
  26. Hi Susan,

    This recipe is great!!!!! My son is coming for the weekend and his co-worker is always looking for me to send him something good, when our son arrives back to work after a visit with us. Carrot cake is his favorite, and these cupcakes will hold up better for traveling in warmer weather then the cake. Thank you for the recipe.

    HAPPY MOTHER'S DAY !!!!!!

    'D'

    ReplyDelete
  27. Carrot cake is one of my favorites and my husbands number one! How fun to do them as cupcakes, and there is nothing better than pairing carrot cake with cream cheese frosting. All this cake today is making me hungry!

    ReplyDelete
  28. Well aren't you clever. I LOVE carrot cake with cream cheese icing, but I would never have thought to cook them as cupcakes. I think that's perfect. Besides, if it's a cupcake it's smaller and I don't eat a big huge piece or two. Thanks for the great recipe. Have a very specially HAPPY MOTHERS DAY. Hugs, Marty

    ReplyDelete
  29. Oh I love Carrot Cake and looking at these made my mouth water....literally!

    ReplyDelete
  30. Carrot cake cupcakes sound YUMMY!!!

    ReplyDelete
  31. How great! Carrot cake in cupcake form! I love it. Thanks Susan. laurie

    ReplyDelete
  32. I have made this recipe and it is delicious, the cream cheese frosting is the best ever! I made mine in mini cupcakes for Easter and they didn't last long.. Love the way you decorated yours!

    ReplyDelete
  33. These look delicious! I love carrot cake and how perfect in a cupcake!

    ReplyDelete
  34. I love this recipe. All those carrots will make my eyes better to read more delicious recipes:) I wish I had one of those cupcakes now. Why do I think that I am going to be obsessing about carrot cupcakes all day today? Happy Mother's day to you and I hope someone bakes you some special treats on Mom's day!
    Joyce

    ReplyDelete
  35. I love carrot cake and cupcake portions are just right! Your recipe sounds wonderful :)

    Happy Mother's Day!

    ReplyDelete

Thank you for stopping by my blog and taking the time to comment! I enjoy reading all your thoughts and will try to answer any questions you might have for me. Have a wonderful day....hope to "see"you again soon!