I spent quite a few hours Friday restoring my daughter’s computer. It shut itself down every 5-10 minutes. It had Trojan horses, viruses, malware, and all kinds of problems….MANY of which could be avoided if she had updated and run some FREE programs on her computer.
She said “I didn’t know”… so I thought I would share these programs with you…. just in case…. “you didn’t know”
I use all of these programs myself. The companies provide a free version and sell a commercial version (with a few more features). I have used the free versions for YEARS…. and have avoided any major issues with computer virus’ or spyware/malware…
You need anti-virus and anti-spyware. Many anti-virus can find spyware/malware but they often can’t fix/heal them (but the anti-spyware/malware software can).
[Clicking on names will take you to site]
- Spybot S & D – for Windows 98 & later; latest version is 126.96.36.199
- MalwareByte's Anti-Malware - for Windows 2000, NT, XP & Vista; latest version 1.25
- AVG 8 - AVG Technologies Free Edition - for Windows 2000, XP & Vista; latest version 8.0.176
It’s really easy…..
- Download each of the above programs
- Install programs
- Update each of the programs (a MUST)
- Run each program, one at a time…
I run these at least once a week……
There are many other programs that will do the same thing. I mentioned these because I am familiar with them. It doesn’t really matter which programs you use….just make sure you run them regularly!! You might just save yourself a trip to the repair shop!
My daughter’s computer is up and running better than before….. after about 6 hours of diagnosing and problem-solving by me (Thanks Dad for the stubborn gene that wouldn’t allow me to give in…or toss it out the window). A happy ending (this time) for me vs. machine!