Sunday, December 14, 2008

Are You a Daydreamer?

skyWelcome to my blog and my first post! It seemed fitting to talk about my blog name on my first post…. A Southern Daydreamer….

Are you a daydreamer? 

From Wikipedia:

A daydream is a visionary fantasy experienced while awake, especially one of happy, pleasant thoughts, hopes or ambitions. There are so many different types of daydreaming that there is still no consensus definition amongst psychologists. While daydreams may include fantasies about future scenarios or plans, reminiscences about past experiences, or vivid dream-like images, they are often connected with some type of emotion.

Daydreaming may take the form of a train of thought, leading the daydreamer away from being aware of his or her immediate surroundings, and concentrating more and more on these new directions of thought. To an observer, they may appear to be affecting a blank stare into the distance, and only a sudden stimulus will startle the daydreamer out of their reverie.

While daydreaming has long been derided as a lazy, non-productive pastime, daydreaming can be constructive in some contexts. There are numerous examples of people in creative or artistic careers, such as composers, novelists, and filmmakers, developing new ideas through daydreaming. Similarly, research scientists, mathematicians, and physicists have developed new ideas by daydreaming about their subject areas.

I’ll admit it. I am a daydreamer…... and a Southerner (not since birth…but long enough to claim the name). My daydreams tend to include my family, house, garden, and cooking.

My hope is to share my adventures in decorating, gardening, and cooking with my blogging (online) friends who have inspired me to join in on the fun!

I’ll leave you with some quotes about daydreams…. But I will be back soon with some photos of my Christmas decorations for 2008….most of which started from a simple daydream!

~ Susan

-----------------------

A daydream is a meal at which images are eaten. Some of us are gourmets, some gourmands, and a good many take their images precooked out of a can and swallow them down whole, absent-mindedly and with little relish. ~ W. H. Auden

Imagination has brought mankind through the dark ages to its present state of civilization. Imagination led Columbus to discover America.  Imagination led Franklin to discover electricity. Imagination has given us the steam engine, the telephone the talking-machine, and the automobile, for these things had to be dreamed of before they became realities. So I believe that dreams -- daydreams, you know, with your eyes wide open and your brain machinery whizzing -- are likely to lead to the betterment of the world. The imaginative child will become the imaginative man or woman most apt to invent, and therefore to foster, civilization. ~ L. Frank Baum

We all have our 'good old days' tucked away inside our hearts, and we return to them in daydreams like cats to favorite armchairs. ~ Brian Carter

If you don't daydream and kind of plan things out in your imagination, you never get there. So you have to start someplace! ~ Robert Duvall

If I were not a physicist, I would probably be a musician. I often think in music. I live my daydreams in music. I see my life in terms of music. ... I get most joy in life out of music. ~ Albert Einstein

.... daydreams, as it were ...I look out the window sometimes to seek the color of the shadows and the different greens in the trees, but when I get ready to paint I just close my eyes and imagine a scene. ~Grandma Moses

Everything starts as somebody's daydream. ~ Larry Niven

I was trying to daydream, but my mind kept wandering. ~ Steven Wright

Technorati Tags:

2 comments:

  1. Lovely! I'm definately a dreamer :)
    Rebecca

    ReplyDelete
  2. Good luck with your new blog...Judith was ver sweet to send you the fairies!

    ReplyDelete

Thank you for stopping by my blog and taking the time to comment! I enjoy reading all your thoughts and will try to answer any questions you might have for me. Have a wonderful day....hope to "see"you again soon!